
For this first project, I concentrated on seeing what I could use the various tools in InDesign to create. I'm drawn more towards creating a recognizable shape over the use of an abstract design, so I combined the two by allowing myself a little box to play with the abstract shapes. I also wanted to see how it would balance out with the draw of the recognizable flower vs. the far busier box/vase. I wanted to create an even spread within the square, with contrast between sharper and softer edges, and little lighter spots for the eye to dance around. In a way, the goal was to catch the eye in the square to bounce around and occasionally escape up to the flower.
I played with the glow effects, giving the shapes within the square an outer glow and the flower's petals an inner glow, which was meant to give the flower a more inward and calm look while encouraging the eye to bounce around within the square. So the focal point of the piece I suppose would be the blackness within the square. Looking at it now, I think it would have been more interesting if the flower had been in pieces, spread out through a larger abstract area, with darker background shapes leaving the lighter colored flower fragments to draw the eye. I don't think the tilt of the image did a great deal to help, but I thought the upright version left the image completely uninteresting.
wow this came out wonderful. Did you do the flower freehand? The picture within a picture style is very creative. I like the fact that the whole circle is a little off center great work.
ReplyDeleteI like the complexity of your design, especially since it is black and white, so the color scheme is obviously very simple. You used a lot of different shapes together, which creates a very active, interesting image.
ReplyDelete