Saturday, March 5, 2011

Rooms vs. Vrooms

Add ImageNOTE: Blogger won't let me put an image up. I will try again later. NOTE DOS: And the file is gone forever. C'est la vie.

A silly title, but try saying it 10 times fast. While the story and graph's information are rather sad with a little reflection, this was a fun exercise. I used contrasting colors, purple and yellow, as they both would be soft enough on the eyes that I could still use black text without causing any strain to read. I thought the number of rooms and garages was important to include as it showed just how much was being bought for the same price as a car. The price per square foot emphasized that point, and the total prices are beside each other because that is what the whole shebang is about.

I felt the varying shapes of the houses demanded that they be given flexible outlines, so that a longer house isn't cut off to fit the rigid square of a tall and thin house. I put the homes in a zigzag pattern because I thought it was more interesting to the eye than a straight line of images. The cars are in a straight line due to space constraints but also because the houses are by far the more interesting images and elements of the story. I feel like the piece is balanced so that the eye is drawn toward the purple in the middle and all the information in it, which is what I wanted. Also, the source provided at the bottom was necessary and filled what would have been a strangely empty space.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you didn't get to put the picture up. Good description.

    ReplyDelete